Thursday, May 14, 2009

What would Hibernate do? Avoidance of in production

For the past 9 months I have been using Hibernate Annotations (along with the Spring Framework) to build my development database. Although I have a reasonably strong grasp of SQL I would still not consider myself fluent. Hibernate does all the hard work for me. Truth be told, there is a substantial learning curve to mastering mapping entity bean associations/relationships with Hibernate annotations. However once you finally develop an understanding (or find enough examples of what you want) it is very easy to continually evolve a data model throughout system development. Using annotations in conjunction with a suitably crafted import.sql file I can go from zero to system in no time. So after several months' development I am on the brink of having a production ready database containing precious real data that I do not want to loose. Should I take the risk of using "" to incorporate last minute database changes? I think not. I would not do this and this is not because I don't trust Hibernate but more because I do not trust myself. If I accidentally used (as I do regularly in my development instance) then bang goes my production database and all the data it contains.

So I wrote a small program to let me see what Hibernate would do if I ran an update without the associated risk of actually performing an update. I have a Spring applicationContext.xml which contains something like the following (note the complete absence of property setting):

<bean class="org.springframework.beans.factory.config.PreferencesPlaceholderConfigurer">
<property name="location" value="" />
<bean id="dataSource" class="org.apache.commons.dbcp.BasicDataSource" destroy-method="close">
<property name="driverClassName">
<property name="url">
<property name="username">
<property name="password">
<bean id="sessionFactory"
<property name="hibernateProperties">
<prop key="hibernate.dialect">${hibernate.dialect}
<property name="annotatedClasses">
<property name="dataSource" ref="dataSource" />

Now for my program, one thing that I have noticed is that update scripts that Hibernate would create will add new fields to a database but will not delete existing columns (even if these have been removed from the annotated entity). It makes a good deal of sense not to delete columns from a production database without knowing exactly what you are doing so this is a good thing!

import java.sql.Connection;
import java.sql.SQLException;
import org.hibernate.HibernateException;
import org.hibernate.Session;
import org.hibernate.SessionFactory;
import org.hibernate.cfg.Configuration;
import org.hibernate.dialect.Dialect;
import org.hibernate.tool.hbm2ddl.DatabaseMetadata;
import org.springframework.context.ApplicationContext;
import org.springframework.orm.hibernate3.HibernateCallback;
import org.springframework.orm.hibernate3.HibernateTemplate;
import org.springframework.orm.hibernate3.LocalSessionFactoryBean;

public class AcquireScripts {

public static void main(String[] args) {
ApplicationContext context = new ClassPathXmlApplicationContext("applicationContext.xml");
// ampersand is very significant - it means get me an
// instance of the beanfactory and not give me a bean
LocalSessionFactoryBean sfb = (LocalSessionFactoryBean) context.getBean("&sessionFactory");
Configuration cfg = sfb.getConfiguration();
Dialect dialect = Dialect.getDialect(cfg.getProperties());
//printDropSchemaScript(cfg, dialect);
//printSchemaCreationScript(cfg, dialect);
printSchemaUpdateScript((SessionFactory) sfb.getObject(), cfg, dialect);

private static void printSchemaCreationScript(final Configuration cfg, final Dialect dialect) {
String[] schemaCreationScript = cfg.generateSchemaCreationScript(dialect);
for (String stmt : schemaCreationScript) {
System.out.println(stmt + ";");

private static void printDropSchemaScript(final Configuration cfg, final Dialect dialect) {
String[] dropSchemaScript = cfg.generateDropSchemaScript(dialect);
for (String stmt : dropSchemaScript) {
System.out.println(stmt + ";");

private static void printSchemaUpdateScript(final SessionFactory sf, final Configuration cfg, final Dialect dialect) {
HibernateTemplate hibernateTemplate = new HibernateTemplate(sf);
new HibernateCallback() {
public Object doInHibernate(Session session) throws HibernateException, SQLException {
Connection con = session.connection();
Dialect dialect = Dialect.getDialect(cfg.getProperties());
DatabaseMetadata metadata = new DatabaseMetadata(con, dialect);
String[] schemaUpdateScript = cfg.generateSchemaUpdateScript(dialect, metadata);
for (String stmt : schemaUpdateScript) {
System.out.println(stmt + ";");
return null;

Notice the cunning use of the ampersand to acquire an instance of the LocalSessionFactoryBean rather than the actual SessionFactory itself. So there we have it, all of the cleverness of Hibernate annotations working out what SQL we might need to update our database but none of the risk.

Wednesday, May 06, 2009

I am experimenting with a hosted blog

My "other blog" is located at I'm looking to see how I get on with a more restricted environment!